Dynamic energy and infrastructure advice to keep your projects moving.
In Serbia and Montenegro the energy, natural resources and infrastructure sector is extremely exciting – a source of many of the largest and most complex transactions in the region. Whether it’s the acquisition of traditional energy companies, the development of new renewables projects, or the financing of infrastructure assets, major businesses from across the world are coming to Serbia. And many of them are working with Stankovic & Partners (NSTLAW).
Nenad Stankovic is among the most experienced lawyers in Serbia and Montenegro when it comes to advising international companies, as well as domestic businesses and public sector organisations, on all aspects of work in the energy and infrastructure field. His team offers considerable expertise in project finance and PPP, whether advising investors, sponsors or lenders, and has the legal skills and industry knowledge to provide clients with the best advice tailored to each project. We assist our clients in every stage of the project development process, from the preparation of strategic advice, feasibility studies and due diligence, through step plans, negotiations and the structuring of deals, to the final closing of contracts, obtaining required permits and implementing transactions.
Whatever the field, from oil and gas (up- or down-stream), or coal, to wind power, hydropower, energy-from-waste, or solar energy, we have the expertise to help bring your project to a successful conclusion. In the infrastructure field, meanwhile, our experience includes highways, railways, healthcare and telecoms infrastructure, as well as such cutting-edge matters as ticketing and fare collecting systems. Our energy, projects and infrastructure team also works closely with other teams around the firm to advise on corporate transactions and real estate purchases, while our regulatory (including public procurement) and dispute resolution specialists play a vital role in ensuring that things proceed smoothly and risk is minimised.
We advise an impressive range of major clients in this area, including Elektroprivreda Srbije (the Serbian state-owned electric power company), AB Energo, Apatinska pivara (a member of the Molson Coors Group), Apex Solution Technology doo, Celanova Group, AD Vojvodinaput Pancevo (a major constructor of roads, bridges, railroads and other public transport structures), Czech Export Bank, the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD), Mining & Smelting Combine Bor, Techem, and the Kimberly Group.
- acting for a Bulgarian client in relation to the exploitation of a coal mine and the development of a power plant in Kovin under a PPP model valued at €1 billion;
- advising AB Energo in relation to trading on the domestic and foreign energy markets and on matters of participation, as well as relationships with other energy traders;
- advising an international bank on a €35 million loan to Elektroprivreda Crne Gore, the main Montenegrin electricity producer, which was the first financing of the Montenegrin energy sector by an international financial institution;
- advising the Electric Power Industry of Serbia (EPS) on unbundling the distribution system operator (DSO) and public supplier (PS). This was the largest restructuring project in Serbia so far;
- advising the Czech Export Bank on export support loans made to Montenegrin National Railways for the redevelopment of the railways in Montenegro (€36 million), and to Serbian Railways for the redevelopment of the railways in Serbia;
- advising an international financial services firm on the application of the Western Balkans Sustainable Energy Direct Financing Facility, including a grant to Interkomerc Energo Serbia for the development of mini hydro power plants;
- acting on an international energy deal for a power company involving the acquisition of equity in a number of Bulgarian companies operating in the field of electricity production, owned by an electricity conglomerate with operations across Central and South Eastern Europe and Turkey;
- acting for Apex Solution Technology d.o.o. in relation to the PPP for the operation of systems for fare collection and control of public transport vehicles in Belgrade;
- advising Contourglobal on and innovatively structured project financing from OPIC. This was awarded Project Finance Deal of the Year by IFLR shortly after its conclusion;
- representing a Bulgarian energy company in a EUR 12.25 international arbitration under the ICSID conventions following the alleged illegal termination of a privatisation agreement;
- advising a leading medical devices manufacturer based in Scandinavia on the terms for its participation in a public tender for the supply of medical devices to public hospitals in Bosnia, including in relation to public procurement issues and risk management.